On 8 October 1909, G. Browne of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) was awarded the Silver Cross for gallantry, in recognition of assisting the police at considerable personal risk.
The Silver Cross, issued between 1909 and 1917, was one of Scouting’s highest honours, awarded “for saving life.” It was presented with a blue ribbon 1¼ inches wide (later updated to 1½ inches).
Notably, this recognition predates the earliest formal records we hold of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Troop. It suggests that Scouting activity was already taking place in Bassett by 1909, making Browne’s award one of the earliest glimpses into our Group’s long history of service and bravery.
On 25/02/1910, the earliest known Scout warrant for Bassett was issued to Scout Master R. Gray, of “Bethelview,” Bassett. This marked the formal beginning of Scouting in the area, just months after Baden-Powell’s movement was officially founded in 1907 and incorporated nationally in 1910.
The 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Troop was formally founded on 13/11/1914, becoming one of the earliest Scout groups in the city.
Only the 2nd Southampton (Shirley) and 14th Southampton (Highfield) are older than us in the District.
1919 Registration Record with Scout HQ
When national record-keeping began, the 7th Bassett was officially registered on 01/10/1919.
The leadership team recorded on the form included:
Scoutmaster (SM): R.W. Harrison, 45 Livingstone Road, Southampton
Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM): H. Mustard, 46 Highfield Road, Bassett
Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM): Rev. C. Salmon, St. Alban’s Rectory, Eastleigh
At that time the Group already had 40 Scouts and 3 adult leaders — a strong start for a young troop.
Our first meeting location was at the Mission Room on Winchester Road, Bassett. This corrugated iron building, known locally as the “Tin Tabernacle”, was originally moved from Chandler’s Ford in 1888 and later became All Saints Mission Church. The Group is likely to have met here from its conception in 1907-1914 all the way through to 1924.
Alongside the Scout Troop, a Cub Pack was officially registered on 01/11/1919. This marked the beginning of Scouting for younger children in Bassett, ensuring the Group could provide opportunities for both Cubs and Scouts from its earliest years.
Toc H - The Firs our meeting place from 1924
Locations of 7th Bassett Scout Huts over the last 100 years.
Original Toc-H Site ~1924-1959
New Toc-H Site 1959 - 1982
Stable Block (not taken up)
Current HQ 1982 - present
From 1924, the 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Group was based at The Firs, a large house on Winchester Road. At that time, The Firs had just been established as the Mark V Toc H Centre, one of the first in the country.
Toc H (short for Talbot House) was a Christian movement founded during the First World War to provide rest and reflection for soldiers. The Southampton centre was donated by Walter Southwell Jones, in memory of his son who had been killed in France. It quickly became a hub for community life and youth support.
On or shortly after 1924, when the Toc H Centre opened, the Scouts also built a hut within the grounds, close to where Columbia Lodge now stands on the bend of the road. By 1927, the Group’s headquarters was formally registered at “Toc H, Mark V, The Firs, Bassett” under registration number 9333.
This site became the heart of the Group’s activities for the next three decades, shaping Scouting in Bassett around the values of service, fellowship, and resilience that Toc H embodied. The Firs remained a landmark until it was demolished in 1978, its place now marked by Talbot Close.
Cub Pack Registration 1927
On 14/03/1927, the Cub Pack of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) was formally re-registered at Imperial Headquarters under registration number 9333.
The Pack was recorded as meeting at Toc H, The Firs, Bassett, with Cubmaster John Claude Bruton in charge. At the time, the Pack had 1 officer and 4 Cubs, making a total strength of 5 members.
This official record shows that by 1927 the Pack was active and securely established within the Group, laying the foundation for the national Group system that would follow in 1928, uniting Cubs and Scouts under a shared identity.
7th Bassett Group Registration 1928
On 13/11/1928, the 7th Southampton (Bassett) was re-registered at Imperial Headquarters (IHQ) which was the original name for the central administration of The Scout Association in the UK, located in London. The group was re-registered as Group No. 3526.
The Group officers at the time were:
Group Scout Master (GSM): John Claude Bruton, 8 Silverdale Road, Southampton
Scoutmaster (SM): John Claude Bruton (dual role)
Cubmaster (CM): Winnie Olive Mitchell (Miss), 73 Welbeck Avenue, Southampton
Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM): Cyril Biddle (warrant to come), 34 Livingstone Road, Southampton
The form records:
Scouts: 11
Wolf Cubs: 26
Total Scouts in Group: 40
Warranted Leaders: 3
The Rover Scouts were aimed at young men aged 17 and above, centred on life skills, leadership, and personal growth. Organised into groups called Rover Crews, their focus was on service, adventure, and shaping young men for adult life.
First recorded at 7th Bassett: 1932, when a Rover Crew was registered
Active years: 1951–1955
Ethos: Rovering was about more than badges – it was about personal development and responsibility. Baden-Powell summed it up in his book Rovering to Success: “paddling your own canoe.”
For nearly 25 years, Rover Scouts provided a vital bridge between youth and adult service within Scouting at 7th Bassett.
As part of our Group history, we record and remember former Scouts who gave their lives in service during times of conflict.
1919-1940, aged 20
Among those who wore the green and purple scarf of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Group was Harold Charles Frank Jerono, a former Patrol Leader who gave his life in service during the Second World War.
Harold was born in Southampton on 17/12/1919, the son of Charles Frank Jerono and Flora Kate Jerono (née Howes). He grew up at 64 Carnation Road, Southampton, and worked as a motor mechanic before joining the Merchant Navy.
He served as a Pantry Boy aboard the SS Abukir of the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. On 28/05/1940, during the Dunkirk evacuation, the ship came under repeated attack and was sunk by enemy action. Harold was just 20 years old when he was killed.
Harold has no known grave but is remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial (Panel 2) in London, the Southampton Watts Park Memorial, and on a family gravestone in Aldeby, Norfolk, which bears the words:
“Harold, dearly loved son of Flora Jerono née Howes, who lost his life at sea through enemy action. Dunkirk evacuation. May 28th 1940, aged 20.”
On 22 January 1941, Douglas Garside, a Rover Scout of the 7th Southampton (Bassett), was awarded the Gilt Cross “in recognition of his gallantry and devotion to duty during air raids in the Civic Centre and in the County Borough of Southampton.”
The Gilt Cross was one of Scouting’s highest honours for bravery, awarded for acts of courage where life was at moderate risk. The medal was issued with a blue and red vertically patterned ribbon, with cloth badges or brooches corresponding to it.
Douglas’s award was linked to the Southampton Blitz raid of 6 November 1940, when Nazi bombers struck the Art School in the Civic Centre, killing students, teachers, and staff. Rescue squads, including local Scouts, worked for hours in choking dust, burst water mains, and falling debris to bring survivors out from the ruins. Among those killed were eleven schoolgirls aged 13–14, three members of staff, and many others across the city in simultaneous raids.
Our Group Record Card 1947-1982
1947 – Both Cubs and Scouts active.
1948–1949 – Scouts, Cubs, and Rovers all recorded, showing the Group offered opportunities for older youth as well as younger sections.
In 1947, the 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Group became part of the newly created Southampton Central Division.
The Senior Scout section catered for boys aged 14–18, offering opportunities for personal challenge, adventure, and independence.
Active at 7th Bassett: 1947, 1954, 1956, 1960–61, and 1963–67
Uniform: Maroon berets and shoulder tabs
Programme: Focused on outdoor skills, service, and preparing for leadership
Legacy: The Senior Scouts followed on from the Scout section and were replaced nationally by the Venture Scouts in 1967.
At 7th Bassett, the Senior Scouts provided older teenagers with a pathway to keep developing their Scouting journey before moving into adult leadership or Rover Scouts.
By 1959, plans were submitted for a new Scout hut at Toc H in Bassett. Construction followed soon after, providing the Group with an updated headquarters to support its growing sections.
This new hut served the 7th Southampton (Bassett) throughout the 1960s and 1970s, becoming the base for Cubs, Scouts, Senior Scouts, and Rover/Venture sections during a time of expansion and change in Scouting nationally.
In 1964, plans were drawn up to extend the Scout hut at Toc H by 19–25 feet. Permission was granted by Toc H and formal planning approval followed, with a subcommittee led by Gordon Richards overseeing the project. Scouts themselves undertook much of the work, including the foundations and flooring, keeping costs within £200. With no further references in the minutes after early 1965, it is believed the extension was completed around January–February 1966.
Dressing up Evening, inside Toc-H Hut 1978
Recipient: J.G. (Gordon) Richards, Group Scoutmaster
Citation: “In recognition of outstanding service.”
Gordon Richards, one of the Group’s longest-serving leaders, was recognised for his dedication and leadership with the Medal of Merit.
Recipient: Mrs Rowe, Group Secretary
Citation: “In recognition of over 30 years’ service.”
Mrs Rowe was honoured for her exceptional commitment to Scouting in Bassett, having served the Group for over three decades.
In 1979, following eviction from the Toc H site, the Group applied for planning permission to renovate and extend the Stable on Little Oak Road as a potential new HQ. The application was prepared and submitted, but ultimately the scheme was never taken forward. The most likely reason was that by this time the Group was already exploring what became the current HQ site.
1983 Start of the Beaver Section, Scout HQ
After the Group’s eviction from The Firs (Toc H) in 1978, and the unsuccessful attempt in 1979 to adapt the Little Oak Road Stables, attention turned to securing a permanent purpose-built headquarters.
The planning applications (refs beginning 1570_W29) show that by the early 1980s, the 7th Southampton (Bassett) had submitted proposals for a new Scout hut on land off Winchester Road, Bassett, close to Red Lodge School. The site plan included a single-storey hut building, with surrounding grounds for activities and access from what is now Vermont Close.
A letter dated 20/05/1980 confirmed that the Group had raised £12,000 towards the project and was applying to the Leisure Committee for a further £6,000 grant to complete it. At the time, the full project was estimated at £30,000, and it was reported that the Group had 190 members (adults, Scouts, and Cubs).
The Council initially granted the Scouts a 15-year lease on 250 square yards of land, with the option to dismantle and re-erect their old hut on the site if full funding could not be raised. In the interim, the Group arranged to use Vermont School for meetings.
On 02/07/1980, the Leisure Committee resolved to extend the lease by a further 7 years, giving the Group a total of 21 years security of tenure on the site.
This agreement paved the way for the construction of the current HQ, which has served as the home of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) ever since. The current Scout Headquarters was officially opened on Saturday 19th September 1981. This date is confirmed in multiple acceptance letters received by the Group Secretary to Mrs. Lambert in the months leading up to the grand opening.
1947-1982, aged 35
John Murray Sephton was born in Southampton on 29/11/1946, the eldest son of Eric and Jean Sephton. A proud member of the 7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Group, he rose to become a Queen’s Scout before pursuing a distinguished career in the Royal Navy.
By 1982 he was serving as Flight Commander aboard HMS Ardent during the Falklands Conflict. On 21/05/1982, while on station in San Carlos Water, HMS Ardent came under repeated heavy attack from Argentine aircraft. The ship sustained many bomb hits, causing severe damage and loss of life.
After the destruction of the ship’s Seacat missile system, Lieutenant Commander Sephton organised the use of small arms by his Flight as a last-ditch defence. In the final desperate moments, he was last seen directing fire from the exposed flight deck, firing a sub-machine gun into an oncoming A4 Skyhawk seconds before it released the bombs that killed him. Three other Flight members were also killed in the action.
For his extreme valour and self-sacrifice, John was recommended for the Victoria Cross, though the recommendation was not upheld. Instead, he was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC), announced in the London Gazette of 11/10/1982, with the citation stating:
“Lieutenant Commander Sephton’s extreme valour and self-sacrifice was an example and inspiration to all the Ship’s Company and undoubtedly deterred the enemy from making even more attacks.”
John was just 35 years old. He had married in 1978 and left behind a wife and young daughter.
In recognition of his service, the Group established the John Sephton Award, presented for personal endeavour to young people who show bravery and continue their Scouting despite facing difficulties in their lives.
His memory lives on in the community: he is honoured by a memorial stone at Bartley Cricket Pitch in the New Forest, and in 2022, as part of the 40th Anniversary of the Falklands Conflict, a geographical feature was named after him — Sephton Island, on the east side of Lake Hammond, West Falkland.
Lt Cdr John Murray Sephton DSC is remembered with pride by his family, his shipmates, and his Scout Group, as a man whose courage and sacrifice continue to inspire.
On 07/06/2006, following the closure of the Central and West Districts, the Group became part of the new Southampton City District. At this point the census recorded 43 members
Recipient: Sarah Granger
Description: Awarded for outstanding service. It implies keen, conscientious, imaginative, and dedicated service over a sustained period of at least 12 years (exceptionally 10).
Sarah’s recognition celebrated her long-term commitment and imaginative leadership, marking her as one of the Group’s most dedicated volunteers.
Recipient: Gail Langton
Award: Silver Wolf – the highest award of The Scout Association, given by the Chief Scout for service of the most exceptional nature.
About Gail:
Gail began in Scouting aged 13 as a Cub Instructor and went on to hold roles across the 2nd Southampton and later the 7th Southampton (Bassett). She served 20 years as GSL at the 2nd, before becoming Group Scout Leader at the 7th, where she supported all sections and helped the Group grow in numbers and strength.
Since 2012, she has also been Beaver Leader, leading the team weekly and running events, while contributing to the ADC Beaver team and organising major District activities such as pantomime trips and Beaver sleepovers. Beyond this, Gail has been active in training and appointments, supporting new leaders across the District, and has volunteered regularly at Ferny Crofts.
Citation:
Her award reflects decades of exceptional service, developing others, sustaining strong programmes, and providing continuity of leadership in Southampton Scouting.
Some of our records were lost due to vandalism and time, but we’re working to rebuild them. If you or someone you know was once part of 7th Bassett—or has photos, documents, or stories to share—we’d love to hear from you!
From smoky campfires and muddy boots to modern adventures and digital badges, one thing has never changed: 7th Bassett is a place where young people grow in confidence, build friendships, and have a whole lot of fun.
We’re proud of our past, excited about our future, and always ready for the next adventure.